Darebin City Council has completed a comprehensive long, medium and short-term strategic planning process.
We asked the people of Darebin to get involved and share their views on our strategic priorities for the coming four years, our annual budget and our Financial Plan 2021-2031.
A community-led process to design Darebin’s first-ever 20-year Community Vision also took place.
At its meeting on 28 June 2021, Council adopted the Darebin 2041 Community Vision, the 2021-2025 Council Plan (incorporating the Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan), the Financial Plan 2021-31 and our annual budget.
Summary of Community Engagement
Almost 3,000 members of the Darebin community gave voice to these forward-looking strategies, which led to a Community Vision developed over a period of seven months by the 39 community members of our Darebin Deliberative Panel, the 2021-2025 Council Plan (incorporating the Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan), and the Financial Plan 2021-2031.
Feedback was captured through online, at in-person information pop-ups, telephone surveys, and targeted sessions with people from our Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities.
You can view the following engagement reports:
- Design your Darebin 2041 Phase 1 Engagement Findings Report
- Community Engagement Report – Council Plan (incorporating Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan)
- Council Plan (incorporating Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan) – submission summary report
- Design Your Darebin Report – process report
- Deliberative Panel Report Outcomes – panel report
Darebin 2041 Community Vision
Darebin is an equitable, vibrant and connected community.
Darebin respects and supports First Nations People, values country, our diverse communities and places.
Darebin commits to mitigating the climate emergency, creating prosperity for current and future generations.
We have four strategic directions that will guide our actions and resources over the next four years, to move us closer to our Community Vision:
2021-2025 Council Plan (incorporating the Municipal Public Health and Wellbeing Plan)
The Council Plan sets, very clearly, what our goals are, and what actions we will take to meet those goals over these coming four years. It is our commitment to the community. Every year, we will let you know how we are tracking – the achievements, but also any adjustments needed as we move ahead.
Our 10 Big Actions
1. Build infrastructure for the future
redevelop Northcote Aquatic and Recreation Centre
redevelop BT Connor Pavilion in Reservoir
build Darebin Intercultural Centre in Preston
2. Plan infrastructure for decades to come
redevelop Reservoir Leisure Centre
activate Edwardes Lake Boat House in Reservoir
build new kindergarten facilities
undertake feasibility study for a Global Learning Hub in Preston
3. Continue to lead with our response to the climate emergency
update our Climate Emergency Plan (to achieve zero greenhouse gas emissions for Darebin by 2030)
offer solar installations and energy retrofits to pensioners and vulnerable communities
delivering new business and community power purchase partnerships
support shift to a circular economy and reduce waste going to landfill
deliver projects and programs to improve safety for people cycling, walking and wheeling
4. Deepen our commitment to truth and justice for First Nations communities in partnership with the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation and Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander peoples who live and work in Darebin
5. Support vulnerable members of our community
support with COVID-19 recovery
expand our homelessness Assertive Outreach program
support community-led programs in East Reservoir and East Preston, to achieve greater physical and mental health, and wellbeing for all
6. Champion local business and creative industries
support with COVID-19 recovery
facilitate the establishment of a Darebin Chamber of Commerce
improve the lighting and safety of our retail precincts and business activity centres
7. Build a more inclusive community for all
support Darebin’s multicultural communities
reduce racism and discrimination
increase access to our Council’s services and sporting assets by groups who are under-represented develop our Disability Action Plan to improve access for all to our services and infrastructure
achieve Rainbow Tick accreditation for our services and activities
8. Improve the quality of development and work to protect all that we love about Darebin
pursue protections for Preston Market
conduct a Planning Scheme review informed by in-depth community consultation
review our Parking Permit Policy
9. Protect our natural environment and biodiversity
significantly improve water quality in Edwardes Lake
increase tree canopy coverage in our parks, residential areas and retail precincts
enhance understorey planting
10. Expand our delivery of quality universal services across the lifespan by providing more three-year-old kindergarten places, continuing to deliver our flagship Age Friendly Darebin project, expanding aged care direct services, and registering to become a home care package provider
Financial Plan 2021-2031