This project has closed
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback.
Early Years Infrastructure Planning Framework
Darebin City Council adopted the Early Years Infrastructure Planning Framework in May 2022. This is our plan for the buildings and spaces that will be needed so that young children and families can get the services they need over the next 20 years.
The Planning Framework focuses on the facilities Darebin needs to provide key services and programs for children aged 0-6 and their families including maternal and child health services, kindergarten, long day care, occasional care, playgroups and toy libraries.
The engagement process
A draft Early Years Infrastructure Plan was taken to community consultation between September 2021 and March 2022. Thank you to everyone who provided feedback through the online survey, face-to-face sessions or online meetings.
Overall, the results of the engagement indicated that the principles and actions outlined in the Framework are strongly supported by the community.
Several important changes were made to the Planning Framework based on the feedback received through the engagement process including:
- Changing the name from Early Years Infrastructure Plan to Early Years Infrastructure Planning Framework to better reflect the strategic purpose of the document.
- Inclusion of two additional planning principles to better reflect Council’s commitment to Aboriginal self-determination, respect for sovereignty and cultural inclusion.
- Combining the principles of ‘whole of community approach’ and ‘integration’ into a single principle titled ‘integrated services for the whole community’.
- Inclusion of additional actions relating to developing a governance model to facilitate ongoing input into early years infrastructure planning from Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations and developing a community engagement model that prioritises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives.
- Inclusion of a new action focused on supporting increased access use of parks and open spaces for bush kindergarten and other early years programs.
What’s happening now?
Council is now working on the implementation of the actions contained in the Early Years Infrastructure Planning Framework. A detailed Delivery Plan will prioritise the actions contained within this Framework and outline timelines and responsibilities for the implementation of agreed priorities.
The Early Years Infrastructure Planning Framework will be treated as a ‘living document’. It will be formally reviewed on a yearly basis in time for the formulation of Council’s annual budget and amended after the adoption of the budget. A major review will be conducted every three to five years or as required.